Old 16-05-2005, 12:18 PM
Pam Moore

On Mon, 16 May 2005 11:39:39 +0100, "Paul D.Smith"
wrote:

BTW, nettles are good activators in a compost heap as well as attracting
various insects so you might want to keep a patch around.

Yes. You can also make a good brew if you dunk nettes in a barrel of
water. Can you leave a patch of nettles for the butterflies
(tortoiseshell I think) which lay eggs on nettles.
I would cut most down (strim?) andthen try to dig up the roots. They
have thick yellow roots which I find not easy to get rid of with
weed-killers. You may not get rid of them all in one season. I think
they may sprout from bits of roots left in the ground. Don't be in too
much of a hurry.

Pam in Bristol