Old 16-05-2005, 01:30 PM
Martin Brown

Rick wrote:

I have a "garden" which has more nettles than anything else. Garden is
a sort of loose phrase, its a bit of a mess.

I want to start a multi year project, where year one is is get rid of
the nettles, year 2 is to do the landscaping and do the grass, and
then year 3 is to think about plants. I don't want my new grass filled
with nettles that I burried during landscaping.

Can I put a weedkiller down that kills nettles & roots ? Right now I
don't care if it kills everything, as long as I can grow stuff next
year I am fine.

Any recomendations ?

Glyphosate will do it easily. Kills anything green it touches so use
with care on a still day. And you can even replant reseed the lawn this
year if you get the plot under control quickly enough. It is the method
of choice for reclaiming derelict wilderness from nettles & brambles.

I need something thats not too expensive, as I have 1/2 an acre to
do. I can get stuff from a farmers merchant if its the best way.

Nettles don't put up all that stiff resistance. You can get them out
with a half decent fork and a lot of elbow grease. I'd leave some at the
wilder end of a 1/2 acre garden - the butterflies are worth it.

Regards,
Martin Brown