Old 16-05-2005, 11:47 AM
Spider

Rick wrote in message

I have a "garden" which has more nettles than anything else. Garden is
a sort of loose phrase, its a bit of a mess.

I want to start a multi year project, where year one is is get rid of
the nettles, year 2 is to do the landscaping and do the grass, and
then year 3 is to think about plants. I don't want my new grass filled
with nettles that I burried during landscaping.

Can I put a weedkiller down that kills nettles & roots ? Right now I
don't care if it kills everything, as long as I can grow stuff next
year I am fine.

Any recomendations ?

I need something thats not too expensive, as I have 1/2 an acre to
do. I can get stuff from a farmers merchant if its the best way.

Thanks
Rick

Hi Rick,

It may cheer you up to learn that nettles are a sign of good, fertile soil.
To get rid of the nettles, spray with Glyphosate. Because Glyphosate is a
systemic herbicide, it is important that you spray green, leafy growth, so
if you have sheared the plants to ground level, you will have to wait while
they put on some new growth. Because you have such an established patch of
nettles, you may need more than one application, but Glyphosate should do
the job. This chemical breaks down on contact with the soil, so you'll have
no problems planting later. Do bear in mind, though, that Glyphosate will
kill everything, so take care with any wanted plants, or drift onto your
neighbour's land.

Spider