Old 23-05-2005, 07:29 AM
Andy Pandy

On Mon, 23 May 2005 03:09:31 +0100, "Miss Perspicacia Tick"
wrote:

I won't start on the 'less' vs 'fewer' arguement, except to say 'fewer' is
the correct word in this context as less is applied to things which cannot
be quantified - e.g. weight, time, etc.

Though I don't want to continue the argument you don't wish to start,
I just wanted to say that my dictionary *does* define less as fewer...
but qualifies that defintion by saying that this hasn't yet been
accepted by pedants. Well the actual words were... not universally
accepted. ;-)

Of the things I mentioned, only the ink cartridges affect me directly as I
live at home and the other savings are passed on to my parents who pay the
bills.

I tot it up every six months, and the last lot was donated to Afrikids, a
charity started by a girl I was at school with to provide educational
materials to children in, er, Africa (though she has extended her range and
has started sending supplies to build a school for street kids in Colombia,
Peru and Bolivia). Don't see how that impacts the planet (except in a
positive way) unless you count the paper used to print the cheque.

Andy