Old 30-05-2005, 02:29 AM
Priscilla Ballou

In article ,
Charlene Taylor wrote:

I just put up a l2 foot tipi of four poles to grow pole beans. I've
grown bush beans for years, but never pole ones. Woodchucks have made
me give up on bush beans where I live now.
The poles are each 3 inches in diameter at their bases, and taper to
about two inches at the top. The poles are 4 feet apart at the bases.
Do I need to use twine/string attached to the tops or are these poles
thin enough for the beans to wrap themselves around the poles?
Dumb question, probably, but pole beans are all new to me.
Thank you for any help with this, and any other tips on growing pole
beans.

I suspect the beans will twine just fine. Sometimes I run a bamboo
across from one teepee to another and dangle strings down for a line of
pole beans to grow up. I think they'll grow up anything!

I do love Italian pole beans. Last year I got an accidental second
planting of them when I missed some pods, they fell and reseeded! I had
lovely fresh green Italian beans in October (or was it November?). I
called them my miracle beans.

Enjoy your pole beans!
--
"Inside every older person is a younger person -- wondering what
the hell happened." -- Cora Harvey Armstrong