Old 28-09-2002, 05:42 PM
Chris Hogg

Default Advice on strelitzia regina

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002 22:22:19 GMT, wrote:

I have a couple of Streltzia regina (Bird of Paradise) plants grown
indoors that were originally grown from seed about 6-7 years ago
obtained from a seed packet bought during a holiday in Tenerife. One
has flowered every year since 4 years after germination and the other
only once at 5 years so far. In the last couple of years I have put
both of the substantial plants on a south west facing patio area
outside the house in Eastern Scotland from around June to
September/October and this doesn't seem to have done them any obvious
harm.. Any recommendations as to when they should be brought back as
usual into the house - I willl not let them freeze, but will they be
ok left outside in night time temps of 40s or should they be brought
indoors in overnight low 50s, which hopefully will still be the range
of prevalent conditions for a week or so while the current high
pressure system is dictating the weather?

Strelitzia regina will take a slight frost, say down to -5C for a
brief period, say an hour or two in the very early morning (at least,
mine have). I doubt they'd survive an extended period though. I would
think they'd be OK until the first frost, but get them in then.
--
Chris
De-* virgin for e-mail reply