Old 28-09-2002, 07:29 PM
Kay Easton

Default ground cover for pond edge

In article , Alison alison.freeth@NoS
pAm.wideopenwindows.fsbusiness.co.uk writes

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , A.Malhotra
writes

Round one of my ponds I have germander speedwell, but I'm not sure quite
how boggy it like it.

I'm not sure if this is the same thing that I've got - a veronica beccabunga
(love the name :-) ) It's got quite pretty little blue flowers, spreads
like fury but is easily pulled out, will grow in the water or on the banks,
and the roots provide great cover for all sorts of things in the water.

No, it's related but different. Veronica beccabunga, brooklime, has
shinier leaves than Germander speedwell, V chamaedrys, and is a water
plant for preferences whereas germander speedwell is a land plant of
hedgebanks and open woodland and a garden weed. Though I think the
garden veronica 'Georgia blue' is bred from it - the flowers are very
similar. And germander speedwell is always described as having a white
'eye' though when you look at it the overwhelming impression is of the
bright blue flowers - it's much more blue and a stronger colour than the
other speedwells that are encountered as weeds.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/