Old 29-09-2002, 01:45 AM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

Default Looking for Lysionothus info.

The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

In article , Janet Galpin and Oliver
Patterson writes

No information on this but The Plant Finder lists Lysionotus pauciflorus
(second spelling) and in various forms it seems to be stocked by Crug
Farm Plants. A Google search comes up with pictures for this. It seems
to grow on the moss on trees in Japan and be a greenhouse plant. Could
'Lavender Lady' simply be a variety of this? It does seem to be lavender
coloured.
Janet G

Well I know the lady who asked has only a cold greenhouse and so I would
have assumed that she wouldn't like tender plants but thanks Janet for
the additional information, I was obviously putting too much detail into
my search!

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

I had another thought which was to look on the Crug Farm Plant site as
they offer brief descriptions and pictures. No sign of 'Lavender Lady'
but several versions of L. pauciflorus. It doesn't seem to be tender
after all. The descriptions include:

From seed we collected in the limestone mountains surrounding Sapa in
the northernmost part of Vietnam. A small evergreen suckering sub-shrub
found growing as an epiphyte on large rocks, in small pockets of humus
or moss, with small dentate dark green glossy leaves to 3cm long. Has
pendant tubular purple striped pendant scented flowers to 4cm long. Best
grown in a container in a free draining compost in part shade.
Another one says: For careful sighting, cool well drained acid, or
alpine house.

May not be the same plant but may be related and give some idea.

Janet G