Old 31-05-2005, 06:37 PM
Craig Watts

On 2005-05-27,
wrote:

On 2005-05-26, Bluebee wrote:

I have a samall garden where I have eggplants. I have it fenced by a
bird-netting fencing. The net is firmly stapled to the ground. I noticed
that something was eating my eggplants and sweet pepper plants at the
rate of two per day(even with the net around). I thought it was the
birdy doing it, so I covered it from above with a bird netting. Still I
found my plants eaten. I found a hole at one end of the netting(could
have been there before), so reinforced it. Still someone ate the plants.

One day hubby saw a tiny-rabbit getting in the garden and destroying a
plant and leave!

Someone told us that if we sprayed Habernero peppers water, rabbit will
not bother the plants. But even after spraying peppers water, I have
missing plants!! The rabbit is essentially breaking the plant in two halves!

How do I prevent any further casualties? I have already lost about
12plants!!

I have never had rabbits eat eggplants, but they do like beans and peas.

Well my egg plants are intact, but they hit my cucumbers. Nothing but
minature stumps left.!!!!! Never had that happen either.

Have run out of chicken wire - need to get more.

So I use 1 inch mesh chicken wire two feet tall to protect them. I
stake out the 4 corners. I secure the wire to one stake and run around
all 4 pulling it as taut as possible. Then I zigzag additonal stakes to
tighten up the wire and make sure it comes in contact with the ground in
all places. There is a 2 inche mesh chicken wire but young rabbits
would easily go thru it so make sure you buy the stiffer 1 inch mesh.

Major recommendation: get rabbit fence. I used chicken wire for years
and it justs rusts. The rabbit fence is well worth the extra money.

Craig