Old 03-06-2005, 08:39 AM
pzboyz

Janet Baraclough wrote:

After all that tractor traffic, the lawn area is likely to be heavily
compacted. This could be bad news on a clay base. It's not clear how
deep the land drains were laid? They will only carry water away, if the
water can percolate through the soil to reach them.

Janet.

Janet,

Thanks, to be clear, the tractors did not drive over the new topsoil,
and the clay was solid after drying out for a few weeks but I agree
there will have been some amount of compaction.

The whole clay area has been exposed, getting wet, cracking up in the
sun for 2 summers/years, so it is kind of well broken up with a chance
of some water percolation. I have had my sprinklers going for many hours
since the topsoil was down, and have not found any soggy patches yet.

Thoughts?

Also, the sandy soil layer, reaches all the way to the area filled with
muck. The whole site, I forgot to mention, is on a slight incline, maybe
rising 1.2m over a 40m length from front to back.

SW.