Old 05-06-2005, 12:26 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Kenneth said:
Howdy,

Is there a reasonable way to get accurate soil testing done?

Here's why I ask:

First, my local cooperative extension does testing, but, to
my amazement, none of there available tests (and they have
many) includes an assessment of nitrogen.

MSU Soil and Plant Nutrient Lab. does offer nitrogen testing *during the
growing season* (it was mentioned in the June 1 CAT Bulletin) and there's
not just one single test.

http://www.ipm.msu.edu/CAT05_veg/V06-01-05.htm#4
http://www.css.msu.edu/SoilTesting/prices.htm

From their FAQ:

Why doesn't the regular MSU soil test include nitrogen analysis?

*Soil nitrate levels are the best indicator of nitrogen availability. Because
these levels fluctuate widely depending on rainfall and soil temperature,
the best time to take soil nitrate samples in while the cropis growing. within
two weeks of supplemental nitrogen applications.

*A soil sample taken months ahead of this time will not provide an
accurate measure of the nitrogen available to the plants.

/end quote

I would think that such service would be available in other states as
well, but only seasonally (for the same reason) and likely home gardeners
are not ever encouraged to get some of the tests available to the
professionals.

Next, I own a soil test kit, but discovered that it showed
nitrogen depletion even when testing a highly concentrated
solution of nitrogen fertilizer in water. When I found that,
I called the manufacturer and was told that it may have
expired. I asked where in the detailed instructions there
was information about expiration, but of course, there was
no such.

Was the packaging marked with an expiration date?

Many items come with a 'best before xx-xx-xx' on the packaging
without mention of that fact in the package inserts.

(attributed to Don Marti)