Old 05-06-2005, 06:21 PM
Sylvan Butler

On 5 Jun 2005 08:37:32 -0700, gonzo wrote:
I am using grass clippings, layered on in about 2-3 inches at a time,
and am now on the third layer. Here's the problem: weeds are still

I think the layers have compressed naturally to maybe 2 inches. No
odors evident, the previous layers are a golden straw color. So far if

Sounds like it hasn't matted down much or started decomposing. Was it
green when you put it down or already dry and fluffy?

So anyone mulching have a recommendation of how much mulch is needed to
actually control weeds?

It takes only two to three inches to prevent germination if you put them
down over clean ground. But already growing weeds will easy push thru a
LOT of mulch. Weight matters, as does matting down. If your clippings
are fresh, less are needed.

To kill established grass/weeds, close mow, put down a a few sheets of
newspaper or paperboard or cardboard, put the grass clippings on top,
water well to matt things down. If you think the newspaper will blow in
less than a gale, you don't have enough clippings.

If you don't want the paper, you will need huge piles of mulch and even
then some will keep poking thru.

technique that promises weed control without hoeing is a bit of snake
oil to me.. Still digging through weed control posts in this
newsgroup, would like to hear from folks that are making it work for

Works for me, and for my parents before me for many years. Now my wife
is converted, but not yet her parents.

sdb

sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com