Old 06-06-2005, 09:28 PM
Helen in NE Calif

My favorite fragrant hybrid teas are Fragrant Cloud (coral red, very
upright, dark green leaves) and Pink Perfume, which was also very
upright with dark green leaves. BOTH are spectacular roses to cut.

I had Mr. Lincoln (straggly upright, perhaps it was that plant) and I
tried Chrysler Imperial, which got mildew. I lived in the San
Francisco Bay Area when I had these roses and many others (58 in all).
I had roses year 'round. I miss them.

Now I live in the mountains of NE Calif at 5,000 ft. elevation. Winter
snows and cold to cool nights mean I am experimenting with "what grows
here".

A week ago I bought Henry Fonda (true yellow) and a Fragrant Cloud.
Did not put them into the ground. I put them in big 24" diameter pots
that are deeper than a half-barrel. My plan is ... when the snow falls
or when we get freezing weather, I will have hubby use a handtruck to
move them into our garage to winter over. I will know next year after
they spend the winter "garaged" if it was a good plan or not.

I am still experimenting with "when to prune" roses up here.

Helen in the mtns of NE Calif.