Old 09-06-2005, 06:02 AM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 23:38:59 -0400, "Mick Fournier"
wrote:

Danny,

Neofinetia falcata don't grow in semi hydro or sphagnum moss east of the
Mississippi and south of the Mason-Dixon. I have seen only a couple of
California growers able to start and maintain some juveniles in sphagnum
moss and then only if the plastic pot is an airy web pot. You need a teak
or cedar basket instead. Tie the plant firmly to the inside of the wood
basket and pop some chopped cubes of coarse coconut husk into the basket.

Mick

The basket I agree on - but I like to make it very small and prop
them high in the basket with moss under them - sort of the
traditional mound. When I had coarse husk in the basket they had
a tendency to settle down in below the top edge. Then they
pouted.
They are worth all the fuss Danny.
SuE