Old 20-10-2002, 09:35 PM
Drakanthus

Default Privet hedge and camoflauge

"Micko" wrote in message
I have a high (about 12 ft) and wide (very, in places) privet hedge

between my
neighbours house and mine. I wish to split it pretty much down the middle

regain garden space. By the way it is the neighbour's hedge in that the

roots
are on his side but we each look after our own bit and reach as far as we

can to
meet in the middle.
However in one place it is quite thin as it is in the shade of my house,

and if
I split it then I would like to put up something to maintain my privacy as

it
regrows. I was thinking of a sort of camoflauge netting, maybe even with
patterns woven in from sacking etc. My concern is that the hedge will have
enough light to re-grow, and that my neighbour won't have to see all the

comings
and goings on our side. He is more sensitive to this than we are to his

seeing
us.
Any ideas from the group
TIA-micko

Would a climbing plant be a solution? Something that grows quickly and
provides plenty of cover. Dare I suggest a "Russian Vine". I planted one at
our last house and we got an instant hedge! - Well within 12 months anyway.
Not for a small place or timid gardener. In Summer you can measure the
growth of the shoots daily - and I'm not kidding! I think they are also
called "mile a minute" plant. They are ideal for screening large areas
fairly quickly.

Drakanthus.