Old 12-06-2005, 01:14 PM
Dwayne

I do something different. After getting my garden area plowed or
roto-tilled I rake my loose dirt into rows about 12 inches high. If I don't
have enough dirt, to get it that high, I use the tiller between the rows
after raking it, and then rake it again. Then I start at one end of the row
and "rake" the top of the row, length wise. This removes old dead weeds
that may have gotten into my dirt, and it flattens the row top, making the
row approx 8 or 9 inches high and 4 to 5 inches wide. Then I lay my soaker
hose down the center on top of the row and plant along the soaker hose. I
can usually make a row of onions, beets, carrots or radishes on each side of
the soaker hose and doubling my crop in a small area. I make the raised
rows far enough apart to till between them as the weeds come up, and long
enough to use a 50 or 75 ft soaker hose, depending on the room I have.
You can shorten or lengthen the soaker hoses to fit your rows with fittings
from a hardware store.

Dwayne

"Allan Matthews" wrote in message
How wide do you make your raised gardens? I have one that is four
feet wide but am building another..consideering five feet....33% more
space but I have doubts. Thanks for replies.