Old 12-06-2005, 05:43 PM
Bob Hobden

"Lobster" wrote ...
We have a very attractive wisteria growing up a trellis on the side of
the house, and which grows at an incredible rate, such that I keep
having to get the ladders out and chopping it back at eaves level, where
it persists in trying to grow under the roof tiles and generally make a
nuisance of itself up there. This needs doing a couple of times a
season, at least; which is tedious, and unpleasant for a ladder-phobe.

I appreciate the obvious answer is to chop the beast back to about a metre
away from the eaves, and I was planning on doing that; however, before I
do so, I just wondered if anyone knew of anything I can maybe paint over
the roof edges and eaves which would discourage its advances?

Wisteria have to be pruned a few times every year anyway, lightly over the
growing season to keep it tidy then hard in winter to promote flowering
spurs, so if you don't like the job then you have the wrong plant and should
cut it down and remove it completely.

--
Regards
Bob