Old 14-06-2005, 08:45 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Dave Poole" wrote in message
Lobster wrote:

We have a very attractive wisteria growing up a trellis on the side of
the house, and which grows at an incredible rate,

They do that at this time of year, it's par for the course.

[Snip]

I appreciate the obvious answer is to chop the beast back to about a
metre away from the eaves, and I was planning on doing that; however,
before I do so, I just wondered if anyone knew of anything I can maybe
paint over the roof edges and eaves which would discourage its advances?

Sorry, any vigorous climber will do exactly the same thing and apart
from cutting it back, there's nothing you can do.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November

Bit late to point out that if Wisteria floribunda had been chosen instead of
W. sinensis the problem would be much reduced!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk