Old 14-06-2005, 11:04 AM
Draven

"A Menzies" wrote in message
We have moved into a newly built house, and we are doing the garden from
scratch. It is only 14 ft by 25 ft, very heavy clay soil, which was
completely waterlogged in the winter, and now has cracks 1'' wide.
We are putting in a garden path and seating area, basically slate
chippings with strategically placed paving stones. We want to use the log
roll as edging to hold the slate in place. What is the best way to anchor
this, bearing in mind I will be digging on the 'border side' to improve
the soil, and put in plants? I don't want the edging falling over etc.
We have had 2 different sets of advice, one to concrete in the log roll
all the way around the edge, the other to use fixing posts about every 3
ft. One edge will be straight, the other will be curved. Anyone any
experience of putting this in? What worked, didn't work, for you?
Thanks for any replies
Ann

I'm a lover of log roll and I am currently replacing all my "crazy paving"
retaining walls with it.

I mainly use the one with the two spikes on the end. I first treat the wood
and then DIG small holes where the spikes need to go into the ground. I then
virtually bury the spikes in giving a few had knocks, with a hammer, to firm
it in. I learnt to do this as if you try to hit it in from scratch you might
hit a stone and the wood cracks and falls to pieces.

I have just replaced a wall with it where I had to make my own spiked log
roll as it was too tall to buy in the shops.