Old 15-06-2005, 02:07 PM
~Roy~

NOt to sound harsh, but thats what happens when you treat fish with
snake oil which is what Mela and Pima fix is......SNAKE
OIL............Get rid of the snake oil, do as large a water change as
you feel comfortable doing, and then dose them in potassium
permanganate........at whatever dose you need. The dose rate is
typically 2ppm, but since you have a lot of "junk" in the water from
that mela fix, it will probably need more just to overcome and fully
oxidize that crap before it gets to working on what the problem
really was..........Do a demand test to find out how much PP your
gonna need for the ppm required.....Its all laid out on the university
of floridas website.

If the fish are eating I would recomendgetting some medicated feed.

After the PP treatment which you may have to do 2 x back to back
preferably, keep feeding the medicated feeds. In the interim until you
find PP you can net these fish, and swab the area with hydrogen
peroxide, and then apply iodine or neosporin or panalog antibiotic
cream, which you can keep on the fish if you apply some denture
adhesive goop over the treated ulcer.....

PP is cheap and iodine peroxide and antibiotic ointments / creams are
usually found in most everyones house.......Biggest expense would be
antibiotic medicated feed, which IMHO is cheep if the fish mean
anyhting to you........

Don;t add salt, clay or anyhting else until the PP has had a chance to
oxidize and clean uyp these fishes ulcers, and really by them no
additonal treatment except for water changes, and medicated feeds
should be necessary. Normally it takes 7 to 10 days on medicated
feeds or water soluable antibiotic treated water for the treatment to
be effective..........Triple sulpha available at most petshops should
be fine.......

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/

Specifically papers
Fact Sheets
FA-23.....The Use of Potassium Permanganate in Fish Ponds
FA-29.....Introduction to Viral Diseases of Fish
FA-37.....Use of Potassium Permangante to Control Infections of
Ornamental Fish

Other good papers a
Circular..CIR920, ..Ich infections in fish
Circular..CIR921, ..Introduction to Fish Health Management

Southern Regional Aquaculture Center Pubs:
SRAC Pub 475 ..Proliferative Gill Disease
SRAC Pub 7201 ..Species Profile Koi & Goldfish
SRAC Pub 479 ..Columnaris Disease

University of Florida Fact Sheets:
Fact Sheet VM-142 Spring Viremia of Carp
Fact Sheet VM-97 Fungal Diseases of Fish

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 01:57:57 -0400, "*muffin*"
wrote:

===due to 'stupidity' on my part, I have 2 8" koi that have an ulcer on their
===side, due to injury ( believe me , I could NOT believe what I almost did to
===my fish...... don't ask).
===
===anyway, I have been treating the pond with melafix,, have lymnozyme in it, &
===adding koi clay. its been a week, & the ulcers do not look much better. I do
===NOT feel like putting in another $40. worth of meds after this round is
===complete in a few days.(for koi that are worth $20. a piece.. they used up
===their cost replacement already)
===
===is there any chance they will eventually heal on their own??
===
===
===don't suggest a smaller quarantine tank, as that was part of my original
===problem.......
===

"The original frugal ponder"