Old 11-02-2003, 02:25 PM
Iris Cohen

Default Thoughts on the Royal Paulownia

I got this ad for this Royal Paulownia (paulownia tomatosa) from a nursery.
It claims to grow real fast and bloooms with lots n lots of lavender blue
blooms.
I have never heard of one and was wondering if you guys both near and far had.

I have seen Paulownias. It is not hardy north of Zone 6, but there was one in
Syracuse for many years. it is a handsome tree. However, in warmer climates it
is extremely weedy & invasive. You may wind up being hated by all your
neighbors. Also, always be wary of extremely fast growing trees. They usually
have weak wood and you are perpetually plagued by branches coming down in a
storm.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."