Old 18-06-2005, 01:39 AM
Lorenzo L. Love

gonzo wrote:
You can grow squash, cucumber, melons.. vine plants in general as long
as you provide some means of support. One recommended support (? from
Bob Thompson of The New Victory Garden?) is used pantyhose; the fruit
is cradled in the toe/foot area. Strong and lightweight, etc.

My tomato cages are industrial strength, i.e. concrete reinforcing
wire. Tomatoes are up to my shoulder as of today (zone 5 Iowa).

Tromboncino zucchini is a vining type. It will do fine on any reasonably
strong trellis. No need to support the fruit, it hangs on strong stems.
The fruit get up to three feet long but I usually harvest it at about
half that. It is long and slender with a bulbous area on the blossom end
that some times turns up, giving it it's trombone resemblance. All the
seeds are in the bulbous end leaving the long main section solid flesh.
Picture and ordering info:
http://www.territorial-seed.com/stor..._P2395C155.cfm

Lorenzo L. Love
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

“If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”
Cicero