Old 24-10-2002, 10:20 PM
Emrys Davies

Default Cutting back hardy fsuchias

'Peter',

Cut them back to ground level in the spring. By then the frost will
have caused most of the stems to die and go rotten, but cut or break
them all off regardless.

The best time to do it is when the frosts and cold winds have ceased
because, in the meantime, the old wood offers some protection to the
base of the plant from where the new growth will emerge.

A late frost will often nip the new growth but you can prevent that by
covering it with newspaper, fleece or the like but if you fail to take
action not to worry as the plant will soon recover and give a good show.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

"Peter" wrote in message
I have 2 hardy small flowered fuschias about 3 -4 ft high. Can I cut

them
back, should I, if so when?

Thanks

Peter