Old 20-06-2005, 12:24 AM
Anne Lurie

John,

For starters, you might not want to plant all your seedlings at the same
time (kinda like not "putting all your eggs in one basket") -- but trying
to get a jump on the season is a very natural thing. Sometimes it works,
sometimes it does not.

As for starting plants, I try to work back from the optimal (or desired!)
planting date. Sometimes this works out fine, sometimes not. (Are ya
starting to see a theme here?)

I was too lazy to start my own seedlings this year, but I paid the price in
"lack of diversity" -- no matter where I went for plants, once I saw the
"Bonnie's" containers, I knew that I would find the same few varieties of
tomatoes, for example.

I can't advise you on cukes or melons, and when to plant them here, but most
likely someone else can.

I *will* say that when I have started my own seeds, the seed starting kits
like APS have proved to produce seedlings superior to the little peat pot
trays. (Some years, I just don't feel like messing with loose potting soil,
which can play havoc with my asthma. But, then in the fall, I pull up
plants which barely sent out roots past the peat pot "netting" -- which
seems to be fairly indestructible, alas, based on the intact stuff I find in
the compost heap years later.)

So, John, check back with us around Thanksgiving, when our mailboxes are
full of seed catalogues!

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

"ZeroWing" wrote in message
news
All,

Well, I learned this year how early is *too* early (killing most of my
seedlings by putting them out in mid-April), but now I'm wondering...

How late is too late to bother? Should I go ahead and try to start my
cukes and musk melons over again? Should I expect anything out of the
grape tomato seedlings I just planted?

Also, when do *you* start your indoor seedlings? I think I started
mine too early and I put them out too early because they were getting
quite large.

I'll remember any hints you give me until next year... I promise!

- John