Old 22-06-2005, 04:32 AM
PatK

Ima Googler wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with pruning a Rose of Sharon? I have
several of them that have been neglected for many years and are
completly out of control and mixed with several other types of
bushes/trees. (it was this way when we moved into our house)

I need to go in and really prune the Rose of Sharon back and I'm
wondering how tough it is when it comes to losing 1/2 of its wood or
more. I'd appreciate any help on ways to minimize damage to the
tree. If I cut off the big limbs will smaller limbs branch out from
those points?

Thanks in advance!
Kim

They're very tough. I've got several on my property that get trimmed
back about halfway every year and still get much bigger than they were
the year before. They're almost as hardy as the dang honeysuckles which
are almost impossible to kill. I wouldn't worry about trimming it back.
It should come out of it fine.

Pat