Old 22-06-2005, 08:04 PM
Mark Anderson

In article says...
Does anyone have any experience with pruning a Rose of Sharon? I have
several of them that have been neglected for many years and are
completly out of control and mixed with several other types of
bushes/trees. (it was this way when we moved into our house)

In my experience we've always pruned ROS in the fall after the flowers
finished. They should start blooming in about a month and I'm not sure
how pruning them now will affect that plant. Some flowering shrubs do
not do well being pruned before flowering. If you have to prune I'd
suggest a light prune now and wait for heavy pruning until October.
Sometimes older ROS will suddenly die the next year for no apparent
reason.