Old 27-10-2002, 05:49 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Default Newbie - Allotment clearance

"Sam" wrote in message ...
I have recently taken up an "allotment" (piece of land not touched in 30
years would be more accurate!).

It is a mixture of course grass with large anthills in the middle,

bordered
by brambles to 12 feet in height and 20 feet deep on one side and hawthorn
and sloe trees on the other.

I have made some headway on the trees as most were only 2" stems and cut
away easily. My question really is what is the best way to clear the rest.

I was thinking of strimming back to the boundries and burning what is
produced there. Followed by using a flamethrower and sterilising the

ground.
Once that is done I was thinking of rotivating the plots and then leaving
for the winter to break up.

Am I on the right lines?

Any advise greatfully taken.

I,ve answered you on england.rec.gardening before I saw you had posted on
here too.
Just a suggestion, if you want to ask two Ng's the same question then
crosspost and we all get to see all the answers. Some News Servers don't
take the other group so any answers on there will be missed by some
subscribers on here, although not by me. :-)

--
Bob
http://www.pooleygreengrowers.org.uk/ about an allotment site