Old 25-06-2005, 07:21 PM
Travis

Mikail wrote:
Its not a tree though Travis is it ?
Its Bamboo with a limited life for each shoot.
The difference is that the tree has a cambium layer that must grow
over the area where the branch has been removed. Furthermore the
whole tree can be compromised by rot induced by a poorly closed
pruning cut, while with bamboo its just that time limited shoot.
Given that bamboo is a form of grass with no ability to close a
hole in one of its shoots, unlike a tree, what harm is there in
sealing a hole? If its a really attractive shoot and "ems" wants to
keep it then why not?
I think it would be interesting to try epoxy adhesive into a the
base of a split, mature and dry culm, under these circumstances. To
give it structural strength during the few years of this individual
shoot life. Its *only* a bamboo culm after all.
Why you would want *expertise* for something so inconsequential
puzzles me.

I was afraid that whatever made the hole in one culm might do the same
to all of the culms. As it turns out the culm died. I had never had
problems with slugs bothering my boo until this year. I put out lots of
slug killer and have had no more problems.

snip

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington