Old 29-06-2005, 01:26 PM
Kay

In article , Mike Lyle mike_lyle_uk@REMO
VETHISyahoo.co.uk writes
Sarah Dale wrote:
[...]
Disused railways might also prove of interest.

Which reminds me that many years ago I was impressed by the
Tissington Trail, a railway in Derbyshire which had been converted
into a fine walk. Has this been done anywhere else? Is there perhaps
an organisation to promote the idea?

The Bideford, Northam and Appledore railway in N Devon was converted
before Beeching Days.

I think part of the Cleveland Way is the old railway route.

Just behind my house, a branch line is now an urabn walkway - very
short, but linking a nature park in the centre of town with a large area
of woodland running down to a scenic village, giving a popular walk as
well as a wildlife corridor

Just three examples - it's quite a common use for old railways. I don't
think there's a specific organisation to promote the idea, but I guess
all the recreational/environmental active in an area would be ready to
look out for opportunities.
--
Kay