Old 29-06-2005, 01:54 PM
Christopher Norton

The message
from "Miss Perspicacia Tick" contains these words:

Not from the new canes, but from the ones I'd given up on (I forget the
variety). They weren't as sweet as I seem to remember the blurb in the
Dobies catalogue leading me to believe, more than a little tart, but very
palatable - rather small berries, but there were enough for the three of us
with ice cream. I guess they were just taking their sweet time becoming
established. I honestly thought they were dead - the canes looked very
brown
and shrivelled.

I knew they were early fruiting, but late June does seem excessively early!
I thought early fruiters didn't really begin to get going until end of
July/middle of August (but what do I know...?)

Sarah

I hope that was home made ice cream to go with the home grown raspberries.

If it was`nt I sincerely recommend the purchase of an ice cream maker.
I`ve had one for about 18 months (a christmas prezzie that was`nt asked
for) and I finally made my first batch last week. Just a vanilla but it
made strawberries a heavenly treat. Made rhubarb ice cream on Monday and
for someone who does`nt like rhubarb i`ve declared it the only way to
eat rhubarb. Simply superb and worth every penny.

Whatever, I hope you enjoy the rest of your crops 8-)