Old 01-07-2005, 10:58 PM
Robert

In message , Broadback
writes
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from Kay contains these words:

There is however our very own Countryside and Wildlife Act, which
says
IIRC that you must not disturb nesting birds, which will restrict hedge
cutting activities.

Indeed - there's a blackbird holding-up operations on my whisper
bit
of leylandii /whisper

While we are on the subject, what is the earliest that one should cut
hedges, from the wildlife point of view?

The recommendation for hedgerow management under Environmental
Stewardship, the new agri-environment scheme for farmers and land
managers, says that hedgerows should not be cut during the period 1
March to 31 July to protect nesting birds. It also indicates that a
hedge should be cut no more than once every two calendar years.
--
Robert