Old 03-07-2005, 08:57 PM
Diana Kulaga

Hi, Richard,

There are a couple of questions in your message. First, not *all* orchids
naturally hang down. Cattleyas grow upright. So do most Dendrobiums, though
some have long spikes that will curve. A notable exception is the
Phalaenopsis, which has long spikes that naturally arch, some as long as
three feet. There is a species that actually grows out of the bottom of the
pot, and there are some pendulous Dends and Cymbidiums, but the best bet for
a starter plant is the Phal.

As to the reason why we stake them, Phal spikes become heavy when the
flowers are out, and can snap (every orchid grower knows that sound!). And
no, nobody goes out into the jungles to stake up the orchids, but the plants
don't grow the same way as when we intervene. We put them upright in pots
for our convenience, not theirs. You'd probably find Phals in the wild
attached to trees, etc, on their sides so that water won't stand in the
plant's crown and cause it to rot.

I have some of my Phals mounted that way, with a pad of spaghnum moss
attached to the mount. They need water more frequently when mounted, but no
staking is required, as the flower spike hangs downward on its own. An
alternative to mounting that might work for you is slat baskets. Instead of
hanging the basket level, attach the wire hanger to one side of the basket.
Same effect as mounting, as far as flower presentation is concerned.

Welcome to rgo, and to orchids. If we can answer any other questions, fire
away.

Diana