Old 04-07-2005, 06:39 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Tom L. La Bron" wrote in message
I wonder what happened to the tree frogs who ususally frequent my ponds
early in the season. The didn't show up this year. Maybe found a better
breeding ground.

$$ Or a snake found them. :-( We were wondering where all the frogs were
this year as well. Today we removed the liner from the 2000 gp (gallon pond)
and found a 2' copperhead snake. I think it was the answer, or part of the
answer. He was slim enough to get through the netting but too small to eat
the koi in that pond. It was the only predator we know of to get through
the net.

For the last 10 years they have arrived and did their breeding and singing
their mating sound, but have heard/seen nothing this year.

$$ We have only a few green frogs this year, plus a few more toads than we
normally see. We also have some tree frogs come to the windows at night.
Our neighbors stock pond was unusually quiet this spring (few
spring-peepers). Now with the drought his pond is drying up along with his
pasture. We found a slider wandering around our prop' tanks this morning -
probably from his vanishing pond. :-(
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b