Old 05-07-2005, 10:18 PM
Mike Lyle

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
Draven wrote:

I've seen some edging at B&Q made out of bamboo.
How long does it take for bamboo to rot?

It goes brittle fairly rapidly, but it doesn't rot in quite the

same
way as wood if it is a tropical bamboo in a temperate climate. I'd
hazard a guess that for a given diameter of bamboo pole it

outlasts
wood by 2-3x. Provided you don't shatter it.

It depends on the wood. It is comparable to the heartwood of the
medium durable UK trees (e.g. oak but not beech), but doesn't even
begin to compete with yew.

My experience of untreated bamboo canes is that they snap at ground
level in, I don't know, a year or so?

--
Mike.