Old 05-11-2002, 08:06 PM
Tony

Default Pinching Mums

Thanks Dave. Well, whatever I've been doing (or not doing) has resulted in a compact
plant with loads and loads of flowers. But next year I might try the pinching-out trick
and see if it makes a difference.

Regards.

"DaveDay34" wrote in message
I've just read (a bit late) the instructions on my garden chrysanthemum, which

is full of lovely flowers. The instructions say to pinch-out tip, and repeat
each time shoots are 7-10 cm long.

Why are you supposed to do this? After flowering I just hack it down and

leave it to its own devices and the flowers are lovely. What will pinching
achieve?

Thanks.

Pinching out the growing tips of most plants, as a general rule encourages side
shoots to grow in place of the removed growing tip. Often more than one side
shoot will replace the one removed. This leads to a more compact plant with a
bushier habit.

I hope this helps.

Dave.