Old 09-07-2005, 12:33 AM

Are you sure it is happening at night? You did not enter enough
information. You leave in the dark and when you return the plants are
uprooted. Did you check the plants when you left and are sure they are
still in the ground? You say they are uprooted when you return but do
you return before light or after? If you left and returned in the dark
then something did uproot them at night. If you left in the dark, but
did not check on the plants and returned when it was light then you
don't know if the uprooting happened in the light or dark.

Yes -- I'm sure it's happening at night. A few mornings as I left as
it was just starting to get light, I checked and found the ground torn
up and the plants uprooted. (While I usually dress fairly casually,
day before yesterday, I was dressed for a meeting with some bigwigs and
found myself kneeling on a piece of a cardboard box in a futile attempt
to keep my knees clean while I replanted some things.)

No ground pepper cannot hurt plants, but red pepper would be better.

I'll give that a shot -- or a sprinkle -- next.

Let us know if you do find out.

Will do. Stayed up "past my bedtime" couple of nights ago but didn't
spot anything.