Old 11-02-2003, 05:25 PM
Jagath Samarabandu

Default Hole in Ice - Canada

Don wrote:
Hi Jagath,
I am about 1 hour drive east of you, near Simcoe. As a matter of fact I
was in your fair city today attending the woodshow at the fair grounds.
Years ago I would stand straw upright in the pond and that would let the
gases escape and the ice would become very thick but the fish did OK. Every
few weeks I would hook up the garden hose and "drill" through the ice to see
if everything was alright.
This newer pond is for Gold Fish and is shallow, I don't dare let it freeze
like the old one.
I have never measured this pond but it would be about 12 feet long and a
few feet deep. It has a couple of dozen GF. Today the ice has formed over
about half of the pond but is thin enough that the fish can still be seen.
The heater is not plugged in, I double checked.
Don

Hello Don,

Nice to (virtually) meet you. Haven't been to Simcoe myself. My pond is
also about 2.5 ft deep. I'm planning to build a small dome for next
winter when I'll put more fish in. Will keep the 'water movement' idea
in mind. If you need to get rid of any excess water plants (or gf for
that matter), let me know and I'll drive over.

Jagath
--
Jagath at canada dot com is where I can be reached