Old 11-07-2005, 04:18 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from (jane) contains these words:
On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 19:56:21 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

~The message
~from "Tumbleweed" contains these words:
~
~ That could be it, I had put itdown to clematis wilt on the grounds they
~ wilted but I suppose if the stem was mostly eaten through it would
look the
~ same. I have a few established clematis (clematii?) but new ones are v
~ difficult to keep going more than a few months.
~
~pedant
~
~Clemates?
~
~/pedant

Surely if the ending in singular is -is then the plural is -um?

Nope. The *is ending is third declension (I don't know of any other
declension which has an *is nominative singular ending in it.

as in as in:
singular:
arbor navis
arborem navis
arboris navem (sometimes -im)
arbori navis
arbore navi

nave (sometimes -i)
plural:
arbores
arbores
arborum
arboribus
arboribus

as in:

Singular

nom. navis naves
voc. navis naves
acc. navem (sometimes -im) naves (sometimes -is)
gen. navis navium
dat. navi navibus
abl. nave (sometimes -i) navibus

Please note: a navibus is generally dark blue and sings rude songs as it
progresses.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/