Old 16-07-2005, 12:43 PM
Anti-Spam

Default Worcester berries

I have in my garden, what I was told, is a Worcesterberry. What I was
not told was when to pick them. My gardening books are quite old and
make no mention of them.

At the moment there are fruits ranging from green, through red, to dark
red and onto almost black.

Experimentation shows that picking the very dark red ones is relatively
easy, the black ones seem to tear the skin rather than snap off from the
stalk as one would expect. Could some one please advise when is the best
time to pick?

The plant is also very vigourous, with lots of new growth, spreading the
bush further than I want it. Is it safe just to cut back the new growt,
either now or in the autumn/

One final request, slightly outside this newsgroup, any one any good
reciepes for using them? I am assuming that I can stew them with a
little water and sugar, but would be interested in other uses and
combinations.

Many Thanks

--
Roger T