Old 16-07-2005, 04:41 PM
Cliff_C Cliff_C is offline
Registered User

Location: Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Hello Roger,
A Worcesterberry, depending on which books you read, is either a hybrid berry between a gooseberry and a blackcurrant or is an American species.
I have not grown one, but understand that their fruit is smaller than a gooseberry and is good for jam making as it has a high acid content.
Like gooseberries they can be picked young and tart or allowed to ripen to a dull black colour.
They are grown in the US as they are resistant to American Gooseberry mildew which can plague gooseberries.
Compared to gooseberies they are lower yeilding.
In terms of care and pruning treat as for gooseberries - so prune new lateral growth to 5 leaves, but don't prune leaders. From November ot February cut the leaders back by one half and the laterals which were reduced to 5 leaves should be pruned down to two buds. As always, remove any dead, diseased, dieing or crossing branches. Also, like gooseberries, keep and open center to aid good air movement and allow light in to aid ripening

Good luck

Cliff
in South Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Spam
I have in my garden, what I was told, is a Worcesterberry. What I was
not told was when to pick them. My gardening books are quite old and
make no mention of them.

At the moment there are fruits ranging from green, through red, to dark
red and onto almost black.

Experimentation shows that picking the very dark red ones is relatively
easy, the black ones seem to tear the skin rather than snap off from the
stalk as one would expect. Could some one please advise when is the best
time to pick?

The plant is also very vigourous, with lots of new growth, spreading the
bush further than I want it. Is it safe just to cut back the new growt,
either now or in the autumn/

One final request, slightly outside this newsgroup, any one any good
reciepes for using them? I am assuming that I can stew them with a
little water and sugar, but would be interested in other uses and
combinations.

Many Thanks

--
Roger T