Old 19-07-2005, 08:53 PM
Reece

Sean, thanks for your response! I didn't have any model for what was
happening until I read your reply.

Reece

"Sean Houtman" wrote in message
news:1120188976.ea58555e11739d9658c2a8bd230bb573@t eranews...
"Reece" wrote in
:

I have twice noticed that when I microwave an artichoke in a bowl
with a 1/2 inch of water in the bottom of it, that the liquid that
remains is later a pretty shade of green. Last night I did this,
and specifically noticed that the liquid was not green at the
bottom of the bowl when I was done cooking and had removed the
artichoke to eat, but this morning saw that this water had turned
green.

What is happening here?

Reece

A chemical is being extracted by the cooking process, which does not
turn green until it has had the chance to oxidize. There are other
examples of phytochemicals changing colors on oxidation, Black
Walnut husks can make your hands turn brown, especially if light is
involved. Indigo is red until it gets exposed to air, when it turns
bluish.

Sean