Old 23-07-2005, 08:44 PM
Helen

"Carmen" wrote in message =
news:A_uEe.116918$gc6.60368@okepread04...
| Will several mature pine cones placed in the bottom of a large pot,=20
| underneath the dirt (to make it lighter to move) produce anything that =
might=20
| harm the plant?
|=20
| Would it cause the soil to become acid, alkaline, or neither?
|=20
| Thanks in advance.=20
|=20
|=20
Pine 'needles' are often used for mulch. Around gardenias, they help =
retain moisture.
Pine cones? Shouldn't harm...may cause water retention initially, until =
they rot and
die...which would probably be quiet a while. I have a gardenia under a =
pine tree
and it's doing really well. Gardenia's like acid. So I'm not sure what =
(other than
partial shade) the pine tree does, but it does seem a most apros place =
for the gardenia.