Old 24-07-2005, 10:02 PM
paghat

In article . com, "sago"
wrote:

My yard was flooded by a stormsurge during the last hurricane. My
azaleas were under 3-4 feet of sal****er for most of one day. Now the
leaves are turning brown. What care could I give them to salvage them,
if any?

Rhododendrons/azaleas have low salt tolerance & it would've surprised me
if they did well in reach of salt-air breezes even without being deluged
in sal****er. You can try to "flush" the salt through the soil with deep
watering, & mulch with a quality finished organic compost, then wait to
see what survives. In the long run you may have to expect azaleas to be
killed by even moderate salt exposure, & you'll have to over time replace
dying shrubs with things that are salt tolerant, including for the South
the yaupon holly, wax myrtle, flowering apricot, figs, cherry laurel,
palms, Indian hawthorn, rosemary, jasmine, oleander, honeysuckles, many
others.

The azaleas that come closest to being salt tolerant are Satsuki, Gumpo, &
Indica cultivars. But in general where salt exposure is likely, azaleas
houldn't be planted.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he