View Single Post
  #6   Report Post  
Old 25-07-2005, 09:14 PM
Mike Lyle
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Peter Stockdale wrote:
"vsop" wrote in message
...
My new neighbour has relocated a row of Raspberries to up against
the wall of her garage so they can be watered by rain dripping off
from the roof......(No gutters on the roof)

However, the roof is asbestos and when I pointed out that there
might be a danger from asbestos being taken up by the plants,

either
thro the roots, leaves or fruit, she was quite certain that it was
not possible for asbestos to be absorbed in this way and there was
no danger to her family eating the fruit in future years.

She may be right, I don't know, perhaps I'm being over concerned

and
am totally wrong, but I certainly wouldn't take the risk and I'm
very worried that she's placing her family in danger from

ingesting
cancer causing toxins.

Whets the general opinion on this ?



She is right - worry not !
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com


Absolutely. The only way a plant can take anything up is when it's
dissolved in water, and asbestos is insoluble. That's partly why it
persists in animals' lungs.

I suppose there could be a slight risk if particles get washed onto
the fruit by the rain: nobody would dare say there's no risk at all;
but it certainly couldn't get there through the roots.

(Helped my father build an asbestos-clad shed back in the fifties!
Gulp!)

--
Mike.