Old 26-07-2005, 02:07 AM
Justin

Thanks for the responses!

I am thinking of making up some PMDD... As per www.thekrib.com, however I
am a bit nervous as my tank is going so well at the moment using seachem NPK
products and dupla for my micronutrients... I was always taught, "if it's
not broken don't fix it", but there is only one place in Australia that
sells the seachem products and they are out of Seachem K at the moment and
it's working out a bit expensive... I am dosing 40ml a week, sometimes
more, so the 250ml seachem bottle is only lasting around 6 doses then I have
to buy some more... Expensive journey... Whereas if I do use Muriate of
potash, it's about AU$6.00 for approx 2kg which should last a couple of
years, I'm just worried about the chlorine in it...

Also, sourcing KH2PO4 and KNO3 is proving difficult in australia... I went
to a chemist last night and got excited when the had the Fleet product, but
it was lemon ginger flavour... Don't think the fish would like that too
much... Will keep on looking...

Any Aussies out there able to tell me when I can get KH2PO4 and KNO3 in
Australia??

If anyone is interested, I found these sites a great help...

http://rexgrigg.com/dosing.htm

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ar....php/f-11.html

Thanks.

Justin.

"gf225" wrote in message

Personally I stick to Tom Barr's ratio as best I can. I've been algae
free for over 12 months now so something must be right.

Statements that zero PO4 and NO3 are good are plain rubbish. A good
idea perhaps for beginners with low plant bio-mass and nutrient uptake
but for anyone with more that a little growth then it's asking for
trouble. Before I became aware of dosing N, P and K I ran very low NO3
and zero PO4 (using RowaPhos) because I beleived as commonly stated -
that zero NO3 and PO4 are good. The end result was a massive
infestation of BGA and all sorts of other algae.

Thankfully I have seen the "light" and dose KNO3 and KH2PO4. NO3 -
15ppm and PO4 - 1ppm. I've just looked into dosing K seperately (see
my first post).

Just my two pence worth.

--
gf225