Old 26-07-2005, 03:35 PM
Justin

Rocco,

Here is where I sourced the Chlorine from...
http://www.nutri-tech.com.au/hints.htm#NO3
The article is as follows....

Dump Muriate of Potash:

Muriate contains 50% microbe-killing chlorine. Sulfate of Potash may be more
expensive, but most Queensland soils are sulfur deficient, and this benefit
should be factored into the cost difference. It is always difficult to
quantify microbe damage, because the organisms are not visible, but there is
ample, visible evidence when we consider earthworms: NTS have collected
several reports of reduced earthworm numbers following prolonged use of
Muriate. Leading American consultants cite cases where this phenomenon is
reversed. Earthworms tend to return following a switch from muriate of
Potash to Sulfate of potash.

Just though I would mention it as chlorine is not that good in aquaria, but
maybe it's different here in Australia...

Thanks justin.

"Rocco Moretti" wrote in message
Justin wrote:
Thanks for the responses!

Whereas if I do use Muriate of potash, it's about AU$6.00 for approx
2kg which should last a couple of years, I'm just worried about the
chlorine in it...

As mentioned elsewhere, it's chloriDe not chloriNe - it's about as inert
an ion as one can get - "Mutiate of potash" is Potassium chloride, the
potassium equivalent of table salt.

The only concern is eventual accumulation of chloride salts in the tank,
but you'll be dosing at so low a level that it shouldn't be a concern if
you have any sort of water change regime at all.

Also, sourcing KH2PO4 and KNO3 is proving difficult in australia...

Don't know about the phosphate, but the KNO3 is also sometimes sold as
stump remover. Don't know about the legality of it in Oz - it might
potentially be regulated as bomb making material.

I went to a chemist last night and got excited when the had the Fleet
product, but it was lemon ginger flavour... Don't think the fish would
like that too much... Will keep on looking...

Hmm ... I'm only familar with Fleet Enema - I'm unsure why one would want
lemon ginger flavouring in an enema.