Old 28-07-2005, 08:30 AM
Sacha

On 28/7/05 0:00, in article , "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

martin wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 18:00:25 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

The 'poverty' you cite as the 'reason' that the British don't

travel
around their own country, would no doubt account for the hordes of
packages holiday makers flying out of Britain every year, bound

for
worldwide destinations!

Oddly it's much cheaper to do that, than to have a holiday in

England.
Hotel prices in UK are higher than in most other places in the

world.

I don't know what your interest is in trying to show this country

as
some kind of hand-to-mouth world, composed almost entirely of
impoverished stay-at-homes but your arguments are not exactly
compelling and your information seems to be rooted in the 1920s or
30s or even the Wilson years of no more than £30 to be taken

abroad
- which led to the development of package holidays in the first
place. Your outlook is sadly old-fashioned and out of date.

Package holidays predated Harold Wilson.

As, indeed, did the limit on money to be taken abroad; though ISTR it
had been lifted for a while.

I must be mis-remembering but I though I remembered his government imposing
the very small travel allowance. I certainly remember going abroad in my
school years and arrangements to travel, hotel bookings and methods of
payment all being negotiated separately and not pre-paid before leaving
home, for example.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk