Old 28-07-2005, 10:48 AM
Harold Walker

I must be mis-remembering but I though I remembered his government
imposing
the very small travel allowance. I certainly remember going abroad in my
school years and arrangements to travel, hotel bookings and methods of
payment all being negotiated separately and not pre-paid before leaving
home, for example.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Either you went to school well after I did or you were blessed with an
abundance of cash...in my days a day's outing at the beach 40 miles away was
a 'big thing'...even bigger was the weekly pass that allowed us to go to the
seaside each day but not stay overnight or a week's holiday at
relatives....but those were fun days of playing in the streets without, as
Mike points out, loads of speeding cars and the likes....the only schoolboys
at 'my school' that enjoyed holidays abroad were the 'toffs'....I was but a
scholarship kid at a public school and being of a "working class family"
money did not exactly grow on a tree but also admit I never knew what an
empty tummy felt like....what money that was available went to food and
clothing...my school years were in the late 30's to early
40's.....personally I would readily exchange the living conditions of
yesteryear for today's and forego the wealth of today.....I have been broke
many a time in my lifetime but never poor.....now that I am not poor from a
money point of view I feel poorer than in my youth for reasons stated
above.....H