Old 29-07-2005, 04:58 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:
That's easy. We read and travel more widely - and take it in.

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

I don't think I'm especially well travelled, compared to a lot of Britons.
Many go abroad for holidays at least once a year; some go more than once.
Some of the young, in particular, now spend a gap year abroad after A
levels
and go from one country to another.
The only thing I've done that is a little more unusual is to spend the
best
part of a year sailing from northern Spain to Cyprus, many years ago.
Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Then it might suggest that the above statement re 'taking it in' etc. does
not apply to you and is a generality for which, I presume, you have little
data to support it....unless of course you have done extensive
research into
the American travel habits versus the English travel habits and their
absorbtion capabilities....bully for you if you have and if you have I
offer
my sincere apologies.......H

I could tell you a few horror stories of USanian tourists (I don't mean
the usual jokes), but I'll make do with one of the other sort.

It was at the (now defunct) Auchterarder Highland Games that the Mayor
of Chicago, of Scottish extraction, decided to enter the tossing the
caber event.

He was booed back to the changing-rooms because he was wearing tracksuit
trousers under his kilt...

....he returned cold and trouserless and the event started.

He was - er - somewhat past his prime, and carrying a bit too much bay
window before, but had a good heave and the caber sort-of toppled and
fell forward a few feet.

I think it was Arthur Rowe who sent the first one up, to fall on its top
and topple away from him, and our mayor tried and tried, and the crowd
became hushed. He kept on trying until he managed to get the caber to
land and topple as it should.

The Mayor beamed and the crowd erupted with genuine applause, respecting
his grit and determination. He got a longer, louder ovation than the
winner.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/