Old 03-08-2005, 12:00 AM
Harry

" George" wrote:

"Gary" wrote in message
roups.com...
I think it is a matter of personal choice, depending on the size of
your pond and the look you want to achieve. If you choose to go with
rocks, you will not be able to keep them clean, so don't even try.
Algae will grow on them, unless you use a strong algaecide, clorox,
etc, and do not plan on having any plants or fish. (I call this the
"swimming pool" look.)
I prefer a more natural look and have a layer of fairly large river
rocks covering the bottom of my pond (600 gal., Rubbermaid stock tank,
6 ft. diameter X 2 ft. deep). It gives the fish (esp. the little ones)
good hiding places. The "gunk" does settle down in between the rocks,
but the plants love it. I have a water lily that hopped the pot years
ago, in favor of rooting under the rocks in the bottom of the pond. In
the spring, I clean the pond out by shoving the end of a syphon hose
down in between the crevaces of the rocks to pull some of the debris
out. Also, I use a pond enzyme powder about once a month in the
summer. The water is almost always clear, and fish and plants are
healthy. This has worked well for me for over 10 years.
Hope this helps,
Gary

I've even seen some ponders incorporate sunken logs into their ponds to

give it a wild look.

Hello,
I would think a constant trickle of fresh water would keep the pond natural.
Other wise the fish food and pooping will turn it into a glorified cesspool.

The Worlds Uncensored News Source